Posted on: July 21, 2017

Rebuilding of docks

Property owners will need approval from the province for construction on Crown land (beginning at the established high water mark of 343 metres above sea level and extending to the lake).

The province’s Licence of Occupation contains requirements for the permitted length, shape, siting, setbacks and materials of docks. The provincial licence also states that docks, fences and walls must not block pedestrian access between the high water mark and the low water mark. For more information, check out the Province of BC webpage about private moorage,

Local municipalities rely on the provincial licence requirements for docks built on Crown land, along with some additional detail to ensure designs that cross public foreshore maintain public access.

The Province has indicated that docks with non-conforming or unauthorized structures will not be allowed to rebuild those structures. The province has the power to enforce alterations to structures that do not comply with its Licence of Occupation for Crown land.

All dock, wall, fence repairs or reconstruction below the high-water mark must go through Front Counter BC at 1-877-855-3222. Any illegal or unauthorized activities must be reported to the provincial Conservation Officer Service at 1-877-952-7277. For more information, visit the Ministry of Forestry, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Compliance & Enforcement site at

As well, the BC Government announced that Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) is available to Central Okanagan residents affected by the recent flooding. The DFA program may compensate individuals for essential uninsurable losses, with a 90-day deadline from the end of the event. Applications are available online at For more information, phone 1-888-257-4777 (toll-free) or email