Posted on: February 6, 2018

Membership vote required for Sensisyusten Expansion and Renovation Project advancement

WFN recently received approval from Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) and WFN Council to proceed with the next stage of design for the Sensisyusten House of Learning Project. This phase will take the design from a 30% stage to construction ready design. The proposed design blends the existing facility and expansion areas both aesthetically and operationally to provide WFN with a consistent finish, appearing like a new facility.

Following a Special Membership Meeting on February 22, 2018, where information about the project will be presented, the Membership will be asked, as per Section 82 of the Constitution, to vote on whether or not to approve the capital expenditure required from WFN to proceed with the proposed project.

Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada has agreed to fund 84% of the project, which must be completed by 2020. To complete the project and receive the funding, WFN must commit to spending the remaining 16% of total project costs. As per Section 82 of the WFN Constitution, a Membership vote authorizing the capital expenditure must be held at a Special Membership Meeting, which has been scheduled for March 15, 2018.

The expansion and renovation would improve safety, enhance learning, increase capacity for teaching, language and culture, and decrease class sizes.

Learn more ➤